Monday, December 8, 2014

Chrsitmas Mantle

Last week I showed you some of the Pintrest ideas I was pinning and planning for Christmas - you can check last week for that.  Well the best laid plans as they say.......
I had intentions of doing a mantle similar to this from Funky Junk Interiors -
I got a star and lots of greenery.  Instead of windows I was going to use mirrors.  I have several strings of lights both color and white that I can use to create the glow.  All planned out, famous last words.
I was in Home Depot with my husband this past Saturday, we found ourselves in the lighting isle and I found white globe lights, the kind you use for ceiling fixtures.  I held it up and said to my husband, "Wouldn't these look great if these were bigger?" My husband gave me an odd look so I added, "I could put them outside and fill them with lights."  Then my husband nodded and said, "I get it, they'd look great but they don't come any bigger."  Then he added, "why don't you do the same thing inside?" 

BRILLIANT! 

I bought three. 
Immediately my mantle idea changed from the photo above to something else.  I am sure this has happened to everyone; you plan one thing and end up doing something totally different.  But you know what?  THAT IS OK! 

So let me walk you through how I did my Christmas mantle. 

Start with a clean, cleared mantle.  I added some faux greenery and just laid it across the mantle. 



Next I need to add levels.  The idea is to keep the eye moving by varying the height of things.  You can use books or garden risers, bricks anything you can think of to vary the heights. 
 
TIP:

Pair' things in groups of three's.  It is more pleasing to the eye. 

Then I created the globes.  Are you ready for how easy and super cute these are!!!! 
First you will need 3 glass globes.  I got mine at Home Depot for $5.77 each. 
Next you need battery operated strands of lights.  I had 2 strands of white and a strand of multi color from my last years table. Then you put them in the globes.

Then I turned them over and put them on the mantle. DONE!
 
Now I did play with the arrangement.  The above didn't stay but you'll see that soon.
Next I hung a star, a picture of a deer and a small mirror on the mantle.
I played with the arrangement of the globes and ended up with the height in the middle. I also changed the mirror out, I thought it was just too small.  I had a picture of Santa on hand and tried that.
I like this much better.  I love, love, LOVE the globes and they were so super easy!

And the mantle is done!  Well almost done.. I am looking for 3-D stars instead of the Santa picture but if I don't find any I'll stay with the Santa. 

So what do you think?  I LOVE it!

Thanks for stopping by today.  I appreciate it.  On Thursday I'll be back sharing my tree and outside decorations.
Stay safe, till Thursday!
Victoria

You can always follow me on Pintrest -
http://www.pinterest.com/vicdenniso/

Or here on the blog
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment