Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving table

Thanksgiving, possibly one of the best holiday's ever.  For me, since it doesn't have all they hype and commercialization that is associated with other holiday's we get to keep the real reason behind the holiday.  It is a day set aside to give thanks for what we have in life.  A day to remember those settlers all those years ago that were thankful for the harvest that would sustain them through the long winter months ahead. 

This year for my Thanksgiving tablescape, I decided to use things I had on hand as much as possible, as a matter of fact, there are only 3 items that I purchased new, salt and pepper shakers and a plate that I got at Wal-Mart. 
Here is the finished product that I will go with on Thanksgiving day. 

Let's get started!  For the centerpiece I used about a 4 inch wide slab of tree that we cut from our backyard in the later summer/early fall.  I used burlap that I had from last year along with placemats, napkins and an older tablecloth. 

I started by placing the tablecloth on the table and then I laid the burlap over the tablecloth.  It hung a bit long so I found some brown ribbon and gathered the burlap then tied it off in a bow.






Next comes the large slab of wood. I placed it in the center of the table. It was a good thing we cut down this tree, notice the large crack in the wood!  I don't think the tree would have made it another season. 
Then I put the placemats around the wood and adjusted the position of the wood so all the placemats would fit.
Now for the fun part!  I love lanterns and I wanted to use a lantern on the table.  I stuffed it with 2 strands of faux garland. I added pine cones around the lantern base. I got the pine cones from a hike but these are readily available, for free, in parks with pine trees. Or you can buy them at any craft store. 

Next I added faux gourds and pumpkins that I've had for years.  You can get these at Hobby Lobby or Michael's and even Wal-Mart and Target stores. I also added some tea light and mercury glass candle holders.  You'll note that some of the tea light holders are glass and dark metal, just like the lantern. 

I got the glass and metal tea lights from Southern Living at Home; the mercury glass ones came from Home Goods at the end of last season.   I also extended the display onto the table to keep it flowing and the eye moving along the display. 

Next is the place settings.  I am going to show you 2.  I have a little booklet that helps me know where to put things, you know which fork goes on the outside and where do I put the wine glass; but I use it as a guide only. 
First the table is set with my good china (Lenox, Chesapeake).  This is a more formal place setting.

I like to mix the rustic and the formal together, to me it makes the setting seem not too fussy.  It keeps it real! 
Then I set the table with a more informal place setting. 
 This is my everyday dishes.  I like the idea of white or beige dishes because they go with everything. 
The leaf dishes are from Wal-Mart a few years ago.  The black and white plates are from Home Goods last year.  Notice I put the napkins under the small plate.  I think you should mix things up.  There are no hard and fast rules that you must set your table like this or that.  Like I said earlier I do have a book for help but I only use it as a guide.  The little owl salt & pepper shakers I got this year at Wal-Mart, aren't they cute! 
I also got this owl plate at Wal-Mart.
 And these cute little fox salt & pepper shakers.  These 3 are my only new purchases this year. 
I also used pinecones for place cards this year.
My husband grew up in Dallas so we plan our Thanksgiving meal around the Cowboy's game.  Do you plan your Thanksgiving dinner around football? 

Just remember to have fun with your table!  Don't have a hunk of tree you can use?  Well, how about a wrapped shoe box filled with faux or real gourds and pumpkins?  Or a basket filled with gourds and pumpkins.  You could even line a few pumpkins down the center of the table, add a few candles and call it good, that would look very pretty. 
I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving.  Next week I'll be back with a Christmas craft to start the holiday's off.  Be blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!
Stay safe,
Victoria
As always you can follow me on Pintrest -
http://www.pinterest.com/vicdenniso/
I'm on Facebook but due to the nature of FB I don't post there except to tell you that the new blog post is up!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dragonflies-and-Thistles/491393717621010

No comments:

Post a Comment