Monday, June 16, 2014

House number plaque


We don't have house numbers on our house.  We haven't for years.  I tell my husband it is because we secretly really don't want people to find us and those that are friends know exactly where we live.  Our street doesn't make it any easier either.  The house on the right of us is 5108 and the house to the left is 5320, in the middle of them, we are 5210.  I have no idea. 

So after years of not having a street number on our house I decided I'd had enough and made a plaque with our numbers and last initial on it. 

This is an easy craft that was pretty cheap - $9.00 for the plaque itself, $1.99 for each number and the letter.  I paid $3.00 for the mounting kit at Hobby Lobby.  The rest of the things I had.  I think it was less than buying pre-made numbers and mounting them on the house.  Plus, I could never find any that I really liked. 

Supplies you will need:
1 wood plaque - size depends on you
Wooden numbers
Wooden letters
Picture mounting kit (I got mine at Hobby Lobby but Michael's carries them as well)
Paint of your choice - any kind (even spray paint)
Sponge brushes - 1 for each paint color you use
Glue (I used E6000 - you can find this at any craft store or Ace hardware)

I got most of the supplies at Michael's.  The American Décor paint I used, I won on a blog contest but you can buy it at Michael's or Home Depot for about $6.00 - $10.00 a jar.  You can use any kind of paint or spray paint for this. 


Step 1 - Prepare your plaque.  Mine, while wrapped in cellophane, was in need of a bit of sanding on the edges.  I then wiped it down with a wet paper towel. 

Step 2 - Apply the mounting hardware to the back of the plaque. 



Step 3 - Paint your plaque.  I gave mine 3 coats with a sponge brush.  I chose a light blonde color of whisper. 
Step 4 - Paint your numbers/letter. I chose a contrasting color but one that matched my shutters - escape. 

Step 5 - after everything is dry you need to glue your letter/numbers to your plaque.  I laid mine out first to make sure I liked the arrangement.   Then I glued them down using E6000 glue - this stuff is amazing!  If you use this glue make sure you are in a well ventilated area as you can get affected by the odor quickly. 
Here is my dry fit.
After you glue the letters/numbers down let that dry for a few minutes.  The E6000 will dry clear. 
Then I hung it outside! 
What do you think?  I really like it.  You can see it clearly from the street.  Now everyone will know where we live and will be able to find us! 

I hope you give this craft a try.  It was pretty easy and inexpensive. 

Thanks for stopping by.  Remember you can also follow me...
Pintrest -
http://www.pinterest.com/vicdenniso/

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dragonflies-and-Thistles/491393717621010

And directly here -
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com/

You can also sign up for emails as well. 
Till Thursday!
Victoria

1 comment:

  1. I love this product! but like you mentioned, it is pretty pricey!Allami’s make best quality house plaque that are unique to you in a very affordable price

    ReplyDelete